History of Doric Lodge No. 53
In 1916, when war clouds were threatening and the days were growing dark, a group of young men took time out to search for light in Masonry. A Masonic club was started July 3rd, 1916. Under dispensation its first officers were: James A. Hunt (Master), James Faiks (Senior Warden),Wilbur G. Rue (Junior Warden), Thomas Jackson (Senior Deacon), Daniel Treadwell (Junior Deacon) James Johnson (Treasurer) Osceola Delamar (Secretary) Edward Beaubian (Tiler) Frederick Treadwell (Senior Master of Ceremonies) Ellsworth Jackson (Junior Master of Ceremonies) Fred Treadwell (Senior Steward) Alfred Green (Junior Steward) Rufus Mckennon (Chaplin) George M. Allen (Marshall).
In 1917 the club received its charter from the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of the Most Ancient and Honorable Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons, State of New York. Osceola Bulamar of Westbury, NY was voted in a Worshipful Master. On October 1, 1921, Doric Lodge was warranted under the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of the State of New York, with Grand Master David W. Parker residing. The current Master at that time was Brother Ellsworth Jackson. For many years, the members of Doric Lodge No. 53 dreamed of a meeting place they could call home.
On January 21, 1975, Emurray Clopton, under the administration of Worshipful Master Emurray Clopton, a dream of the craft came true. WM Clopton withdrew $11,000 from the building account, and the brothers loaned the lodge $9,000 by purchasing certificates to pay the $20,000 required for the purchasing of our present home at 95 Westbury Blvd. in Hempstead, NY. Much work has been done to make it suitable for the lodge meetings. We give thanks to GOD, the great architect of the universe and to all the brothers who have labored here in the temple.